Living On My Own Terms
What does FREEDOM mean to you?
Not living on someone else's schedule? Being able to do what you want, when you want to do it? Not having to ask for permission?
You may not know this about me, but I'm a bit of a free spirit (ha..ha..ha...). Maybe the crazy hair gave it away? ;)
As much as I've loved people I've worked with in the past, I never loved having someone else dictate my schedule. I was in the retail world for about 10 years, where consistently working late nights, all weekends, and increasingly more holidays is a given. I never loved it, but I loved my coworkers (and needed $$$), so I barely tolerated the hours. When I had Liam (our oldest), I realized that I could NOT go back to work. I had to find another way to earn money, without missing everything.
Direct sales has given me the freedom to do just that! I have now been a stay at home mama for almost 4 YEARS! I currently earn a larger paycheck than I have ever earned, even larger than when I was working 50+ hours per week and barely surviving as a total zombie. (Friends, remember when I'd constantly say "I can't, I have to work"...and fall asleep in movie theaters even when I COULD go out for a couple hours??? Yeah, those days are longgggg gone!)
I now work an average of 10 hours per WEEK. Sometimes closer to 15 when I have a lot to get done or am playing catch-up after a vacation. With my kids being so little still, I can't really get quality work done while watching them, so I work after their bed time a couple nights per week. I have all the same freedom as any other stay at home mom...I go to the gym for 2 hours per day, we go to the zoo weekly, we go to the park every chance we get, we go out to lunch, shopping, run errands, go hang out with my parents...and when my husband is off work, we all get to be TOGETHER! In some awful alternate universe without direct sales, I'm working while my husband is off to watch the kids, neither of us get a break, we never see each other, and we get almost no family time. I don't EVER want to visit that universe. I'm staying in this one!!
In this one, I have the freedom to:
- color my hair whatever unnatural colors I can dream up!
- work in just a Tshirt and underwear if that's what makes me happy that day
- take a road trip or vacation whenever we want, even with just a day's notice
- still enjoy all the benefits of earning a full-time income, without sacrificing 1/3 of my waking hours for it
- choose to put work on the backburner if something more important pops up
- choose to take the night off if wine with friends pops up...Lol!
- do business with whoever I want (and NOT with those I don't want)
- work from my phone or laptop literally ANYWHERE!
- run my business however I want to, following my intuition and coaching from my leaders instead of being confined to rigid rules and processes
- work as much or as little as I like, and earn as much or as little as I want that month
- grow, share my gifts and knowledge, and promote without having to wait for a position to open up